When local resident Maria found chokoes in her fresh produce box last week, she decided to use them in a hearty country dish from the Provence region of France.
"Thank you, South Eastern Community Connect, for bringing the choko back into my life," Maria says.
"When I found the chokoes in my box I decided to use them in a Ratatouille dish.
"This is a great recipe for making use of several of the wonderful veggies you bring us.
"We are supposed to eat 5-7 serves of vegetables a day, and this recipe delivers.
"You can use your own ratatouille recipe, and just add chokos when you would add zucchini – and cook a little longer.
Here's my recipe. Cook, freeze, and heat when needed – and enjoy!"
Ratatouille with Choko
• 1 onion, sliced thin
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 5 tablespoons olive oil
• a 3/4-pound eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
• 1 small zucchini, scrubbed, quartered lengthwise, and cut into thin slices
• 1 small choko, with or without skin, and cut into small pieces
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 3/4 pound small ripe tomatoes, chopped coarse (about 1 1/4 cups)
• 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
• 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
The ratatouille may be made one day in advance, kept covered and chilled, and reheated before serving (or I freeze in plastic containers and defrost and heat in microwave).
1. Cook onions and garlic in oil until soft, but not browned
2. Add eggplant and cook for 8 mins on low heat. Stir and toss occasionally.
3. Choko, Zucchini and Capsicum 12 mins - stir and toss occasionally
4. Add tomatoes and cook for 5-7 mins. Stir through gently.
5. Add herbs if wanted - oregano, thyme, coriander, and fennel seeds.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
Fruit & Vegetable DeliveriesSouth Eastern Community Connect (SECC) delivers fresh produce right to your door.
We buy fresh, in-season produce, direct from the local suppliers and deliver it across Sydney to our elderly clients and those clients living with disability.
We deliver fruit, vegetable or mixed boxes fortnightly at a subsidised cost of $12 a bag, inclusive of delivery.
This program supports the frail aged, people living with disabilities and their carers.